But in all seriousness, I'm pretty sure she drools when I tell her that I'm even thinking about making Chicken & Dumplings. It's adorable and hilarious.
2 Stalks Celery Chopped
2 Carrots Peeled & Chopped
1/4 Cup Yellow Onion Chopped
2 Tbsp Unsalted Butter
1 1/2 Tbsp Flour
8 Cups Water
2 Tbsp "Better Than Bouillon" Chicken Base
1 Tsp Sage
1 Tsp Thyme
1/4 Tsp Poultry Seasoning
1/2 Tsp Ginger
4 Chicken Breasts
1 Can Biscuits
S & P to Taste
1. Add chopped vegetables and butter to large stock pot. Cook on medium-high heat until onion begin to become transparent.
2. Add flour to the vegetables/butter mixture and stir thoroughly to create roux. Immediately add water.
3. Stir in sage, thyme, poultry seasoning, ginger, and the chicken base. Add chicken and cook over medium-high heat for 15-20 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
5. Take biscuits and pull each one apart into fifths and ball them up tightly. Drop into the soup as you make them. (This would go much faster with a helper!)
6. Place lid almost completely covering the soup and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally to get the dumpling cooked evenly. (When you completely cover the soup, it boils over, but if you don't, the dumpling don't get enough steam to cook thoroughly!)
7. Add S&P to taste and enjoy!
So, you're probably thinking, "Ginger?" Yes, ginger. You can't tell overtly that it's in the soup, but I swear that it adds a bit of warmth and depth to the flavor that you'll miss if you don't put in. And, by all means, if you love ginger, add more!
I hope that you enjoyed story time! Enjoy the soup!
We're on the Fence! Won't you take a minute and vote for us?